A leash is good but it may not be as comfortable for your dog as a Harness. But comparatively, the kong harness is a bit difficult and confusing to put on for dog owners who are using it for the very first time.
Because it depends on the type of harness. Some harnesses go over the dog’s head, while others clip around the body.
If you are here to know how to put a kong harness on your dog, then below are a few quick and very easy steps:
- A simple and easy method to put a kong harness on your dog is to find the closed loop first.
- Put it on the dog’s neck by slipping his head through it. Fit one or two legs of the dog through the harness openings at the bottom.
- The D ring will stay on the back of your dog while the two straps will be hanging down the neck on each side.
- Pass the straps beneath the dog’s chest and buckle it up with the D-ring or Neoprene traffic handle.
Now let’s explain this step-by-step and in-depth guide for how to put a kong harness on your pup in no time and much more about Kong Harnesses.
What is a kong harness for the dog?
Unlike dog collar which is uncomfortable, unsafe (fear of losing control), and causes injuries, the Kong harness is the opposite of it. It’s made up of soft material, that goes around the neck and chest to ensure full control.
How To Put On Kong Dog Harness (Step-By-Step Guide):
The harness can be sized to fit the dog, so it is usable regardless of their size. There are two main types of kong harnesses:
Standard kong harness:
The standard kong harness is the most common type and is great for everyday use.
No-pull kong harness:
The no-pull kong harness is designed for dogs that tend to pull on their leash. The front section of the collar straps onto the dog’s collar, significantly preventing it from pulling ahead.
Here Are Some Brief Steps For Putting On A Kong Dog Harness:
Let’s explain the process of how to put on a kong dog harness in simple and easy steps for every newbie and pro. Number 5 is really important.
- Examine your Kong harness either in your hand or putting it in a plan area and search for the closed loop (circle).
- Once you find the closed loop, you have to pass your dog’s head through it. An easy way to do it is to pass your hand through it first and grab your dog by the chin gently. Now slip it off to his neck.
- On one side of your kong harness, there is a neoprene traffic handle attached while on the other side of this neck closed loop, two straps will be dangling.
- Let the neoprene traffic handle stay on the back of your dog. Grab the dangling part and pass it underneath the dog’s chest.
- Buckle up the Nylon straps on both sides to the neoprene traffic handle.
- You’re pretty much done with it. Finally, attach a leash to the D-ring of the traffic handle on the back.
Tips and Instructions On How To Adjust Kong Dog Harness For Dog’s Comfort:
But this is nothing like a difficult job below I’ll share how to adjust Kong dog harness.
The best way to get your dog used to a kong harness is to leverage positive reinforcement pet training. So each time your dog wears the harness, you should reward him with food, toys, play, or anything that he feels pleased with.
Sooner or later they will start to love wearing it and maybe insist you use it. However, it’s super important to make sure it’s snug and comfortable for your pet. If it’s not, forget about your dog loving it anyway.
How To Tighten Kong Harness (Tightness)
While putting on a kong harness you may wonder how to tighten kong dog harness, Well, make sure it fits your dog but isn’t very tight. If it’s too tight, your dog is going to feel uncomfortable. It’ll limit his motion and even resist his blood circulations.
On the other hand, if the harness is left loose, it’s still very uncomfortable for dogs. So the ideal between the two is to keep it fit on your dog but not too tight.
One way to check tightness is to place one or two fingers between the harness and the dog’s body. If you can fit your fingers then good to go but if not, lose it a bit until you can fit your fingers.
Ultimately, you should be observing the dog’s expressions and reactions after he wears the kong harness. If you think he is good with it, That’s nice, if he acts in distress, change the tightness and look for the ideal point.
Eventually, your dog will favor wearing the rope. Be patient and remain consistent, and your dog will gradually begin to appreciate it. Thanks for stopping by! Harnesses are a great way to keep your dog safe and secure while giving them the freedom to move around. With a little practice, putting on a Kong harness will be a breeze!
Is the Kong harness certified by a veteran?
According to the research by the Institute of Animal Welfare Science at the University of Zurich, the kong harness is not certified by a veteran.
But, the kong harness is a good product and it is recommended by many dog owners. You may want to consider the kong harness for your dog if you are looking for a harness.
Advantages of a Kong harness for the dog:
There are many advantages of a kong harness for the dog but some of them are the following:
- Unlike a collar, a harness distributes the force of a dog’s pull evenly across his chest and shoulders, preventing him from choking.
- A harness also prevents stress on the dog’s neck, which can cause serious health problems down the road.
- A dog wearing a harness is much easier to control than one wearing a collar since you can direct his movement more precisely with the harness.
- A harness can also help to train your dog not to pull on the leash since it provides more control and makes it less comfortable for him to do so.
- Dogs with respiratory or tracheal problems, as well as brachycephalic breeds (short-nosed dogs like Pugs and Bulldogs), can benefit from wearing a harness since it takes the pressure off their necks.
- If your dog is small or medium-sized, a harness allows you to pick him up without hurting him or putting too much strain on your back.
- A harness is also a great way to keep your dog safe while riding in the car, as it prevents him from moving around too much and getting injured.
As you can see, numerous perks are associated with using a kong harness with your dog. If you are looking for an easy way to control your dog and keep him safe, a kong harness is a great option.
Disadvantages of a kong harness for the dog:
There are some disadvantages of a kong harness for the dog some of them include:
- The kong harness can be difficult to put on a dog, particularly if the dog is squirmy or resistant.
- The kong harness can be uncomfortable for a dog, particularly if it’s not fitted correctly.
- The kong harness can restrict a dog’s movement and range of motion.
- The kong harness can be dangerous for a dog if it gets snagged on something or if the dog is able to wriggle out of it.
If you’re considering a kong harness for your dog, be sure to take the time to measure your dog and choose the right size. You may want to consider purchasing a kong harness instead of a standard collar and leash if you want to train your dog. Your dog should always wear a collar and leash when outside, even if he or she is also wearing a kong harness.
My story of a kong harness on a dog:
I always loved having a dog. My friends are very loyal and friendly, and I always feel at home with them. My dog was particularly attached to me and would follow me around everywhere. One day, I came home from work and noticed something strange, my dog was wearing a kong harness!
Actually, my father had put it on her because she was being particularly naughty that day and he wanted her to have something to help keep her calm. At first, I didn’t know what is kong harness. Why on earth had my dog been put in a kong harness? I examined it more closely and saw that it was actually quite comfortable.
The harness fits him perfectly and he seemed to be enjoying it. Puzzled, I checked the internet for information. It turns out that the kong harness is a great way to keep your dog safe and secure. It’s also very comfortable for them, and it allows them to move around freely. I was relieved to know that my dog was safe and sound.
And I decided to keep the harness on him. Since then, my dog has been wearing his kong harness every day and he loves it. He always seems so happy and content, and I know that he is safe and secure. I am so glad that I decided to get a kong harness for my dog, it was the best decision I ever made!
If you have been using a collar and now want to start using a kong harness for your dog, or if you are a new dog owner, you need to know how to put a kong harness on a dog. In this blog, we have tried our best to explain the process in a few simple and easy steps to do.
If you still need clarification regarding the process, you can ask in the comments below.
Why is a harness better than a collar?
A harness is better than a collar in the sense that it provides better back support, and control over your dog. It discourages choking and pulling thus your dog doesn’t get injuries even if it keeps pulling. While a collar does not entertain these benefits.
How Do I Know If My Dog Needs A Kong Harness?
If your dog has throat issues or back issues, or it keeps pulling all the time and ends up injuring itself, you definitely need a Kong harness. Harnesses are here to avoid choking and pulling and give you control over your dog. Further, the Kong harness will help save your dog’s trachea from getting injured.
How to Put a Harness on a Small Dog or a Puppy?
It is the same easy process to put a harness on your small dog or puppy as it is to put one on a large dog. The main difference is in adjusting the harness to fit your pet properly. You may need to use a harness on your small dog if you are concerned about her safety while walking or riding in the car. A harness can also be helpful in training your pet not to pull on the leash.
How do I measure my dog for a kong harness?
You’ll need to take three measurements of your dog, in inches: chest circumference, girth (or waist), and length from collarbone to tail.
Should a harness be tight or loose?
A harness should be fit to the dog’s body, neither tight, nor loose. One good way to test tightness is to see if you can fit one or two fingers in between the harness and the dog’s body or not. No more than that or it will get loose and slip to the sides while your dog walks.